The construction of Fjell festning (MKB 11./504 Fjell) was started in 1942. The main armament was the B (Bruno) turret with three 28,3 cm guns from the German battleship “Gneisenau”. In addition numerous AA guns, anti-
After the Second World War the fortress was taken over by the Norwegian military. The main guns were scrapped in 1968, and the fortress used as a coastal radar station until 2004.
Today the area is preserved as a military heritage by The Central Office of Historic Monuments and most of it is open to the public as a museum. The fortress is still riddled with bunkers (mostly un-
Check out the panoramic view from one of the gun positions.